Apples, cinnamon, chunky knits, pumpkin spice and everything nice – fall is upon us, is your home ready?
If you love fall as much as the typical American (and why wouldn’t you?), then it’s time to change along with the seasons. Let the dead leafs drop (aka pastel florals, linens, and summery scents) and welcome in the cozy textures, rusty hues, and flavors autumn.
Here are our top tips for decorating your home for fall:
- Bring in the chunky knits – What’s better than curling up in a chunky blanket by the fire on a crisp autumn day? As October approaches, it’s time to retire the light summer blankets for cozier textures. We love these homemade knit wool blankets on Etsy and the rust-colored knit blankets on Birchlane.
- Display seasonal produce – A simple and classic way to decorate for any season is to display fresh, local produce in your kitchen. Find a bowl or stand that compliments your home’s decor – we love this antique silver, three-tier stand from Pottery Barn for traditional and farmhouse style homes and this acacia wood serving bowl for a more rustic look. Display fall fruits and vegetables like red and green apples, squash, pears, pumpkins, and gourds.
- Swap out floral fragrances for autumn spices and woody aromas – When opting for room sprays, infusers, and candles use nature as your inspiration. Autumn smells typically include cinnamon, crisp apple, woods, a little smoke, and earthiness. They have a warmness about them that will evoke nostalgia and memories of pumpkin patches and hot apple cider. We love DW Home’s apple honey butter and wood-smoked bourbon scents.
- Doorstep decor – Our front doors are all seeing a lot more action these days – groceries, prepared meals, packages, and even birthday surprises are all delivered directly to our entryways. If you want to share your fall, cheer with friends, family, and the mail person – dress-up your front door and patio. Pair this adorable West Elm gourd doormat or this clever and affordable “hey there, pumpkin” doormat with a festive wreath like this one from Kirkland’s, or a homemade wreath like this one. Of course, the most traditional way to fall-ify your front steps is with carved pumpkins and votive candles.
- Decorative displays – While we typically discourage clutter and chachkies in our festive design guides – we love these decorative ceramic pumpkins in white, orange, red, and blue from Target and this rattan woven pumpkin from Pottery Barn. You can place these on bookshelves, your bathroom vanity, or as centerpieces on your kitchen table to add just a touch of autumn cheer.
- Seasonal sayings – Text displays are a classic and simple way to update your home with the season. You can change out throw pillows with “thankful” and “grateful” pillows like this one, update chalkboards with cute little autumn sayings, or change out your framed art for adorable signs like this one on Etsy.
You and your family will love to #stayhome when it feels like a cozy little autumn abode and smells like warm apple pie. Admire the changing fall colors from your favorite spot in your home, bundled in warm blankets, read a book by the fireplace, and drink hot apple cider out of a “hey pumpkin” mug and you’ll be feeling the season at home in no time.