The Botanical Garden lights twinkle in the night, the sound of the Sugar Plum Fairy echos outside Fox Theatre, and Lenox Square is bustling with holiday shoppers – it’s Christmastime in Atlanta.
This holiday season, gather your friends, family, and neighbors and experience the joy of the holiday season. There’s something for everyone on Atlanta’s festivities calendar!
Our Top 10 Picks
- International Winter Wonderland – The epicenter of holiday cheer in Atlanta is the International Winter Wonderland at Centennial Olympic Park. Now through January 5th, experience dazzling holiday decor, live entertainment, and international delights and activities. Holiday attractions within the park include the Chinese Lantern Festival, featuring 25 kinds of handcrafted lanterns, and the Atlanta Christkindl Market, with up to 80 charming Bavarian-style wooden chalets offering traditional German food, beverages, and artisanal gifts. Visit the link for more details or to purchase tickets.
- Atlanta Ballet Presents the Nutcracker – Everyone’s favorite holiday production is back! The Atlanta Ballet will perform a reimagined production of The Nutcracker at Fox Theatre December 7th through the 13th. Watch E.T.A. Hoffmann’s beloved story come to life and experience the splendor and world-class enchantment with the whole family. Tickets are on sale now and start at just $35 plus fees. This is the final year at the Fox Theatre – so don’t miss out. See the link to purchase tickets.
- Skate the Station – Feeling nostalgic for that classic Norman Rockwell holiday experience? Look no further than the Skate the Station event at Atlantic Station. Now through January 20th, you and the whole family can lace up and enjoy a night under the stars and skyscrapers skating at the largest outdoor ice rink in the Southeast. General admission is just $15 and includes skate rentals. Season passes are available if you’re an avid skater for only $59 plus fees. Whether you’re teaching the kids how to skate or looking for a romantic date night – Skate the Station is the perfect way to get into the spirit of the season.
- Celebrations in Light Programs – If you’ve lived in Atlanta for a holiday season, you likely know of the annual Celebrations in Light event at the Children’s Museum of Atlanta. This classic local event celebrates the traditions and tales of Las Posadas, Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa through stories, music, live performances, decorations, and winter science. Gather the kiddos for a day of fun, learning, and holiday celebration December 2nd through December 30th. There are Reader’s Theatres, Winter Extravaganza Science Shows, Holiday Storytimes, Science Bars, and more! For more details and to check out their calendar of events and programs happening at CMA On-Stage – visit the link.
- Madeline’s Christmas Returns to Horizon Theatre – Madeline is back for a new generation of families to celebrate and enjoy! This beloved character returns to the Horizon Theatre December 7th through the 31st to make the season merry and bright. This musical adaptation of Ludwig Bemelmans’ classic children’s tale features 24 talented local girls performing alongside professional actors in collaboration with The Atlanta Children’s Theatre Company. This fun, light-hearted, musical performance is sure to be one the whole family will love. General admission tickets start at just $15 and can be purchased directly via the website linked above.
- Atlanta Santa Speedo Run – “Wear a little, give a lot” is the slogan for this hilarious fundraising event hosted by Pour Taproom and presented by Sweet Peach Wax & Sugaring Studio. On December 14th, hundreds of Speedo dawned runners will take to the BeltLine to raise money for Bert’s Big Adventure, a nonprofit organization that provides a five-day, all-expenses-paid trip to Disney World to children with chronic and terminal illnesses. Admission is a $250 donation. While the dress code is “less is more,” costumes are not required. Register now via the link above for a jolly good time!
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Everybody’s favorite reindeer returns this holiday season in the production of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at the Center For Puppetry Arts now through December 29th. General admission tickets range from $15 to $35 and include the live performance, Create-A-Puppet Workshop, and admission to the Worlds of Puppetry Museum. If you grew up watching the classic tale of a luminous red-nosed reindeer embracing differences, following his dreams, and saving Christmas, then you’ll love the Center For Puppetry Arts’s production.
- A Christmas Carol – The holiday season is not complete without a viewing of this beloved Dickens classic. Celebrate the holidays and discover the true meaning of Christmas at Alliance Theater’s 30th annual Broadway-scale production featuring live music and an all-star Atlanta cast. Watch Ebenezer Scrooge as he opens his heart to the true meaning of the holiday season with the help of a few friendly ghosts from the Past, Present, and Future. Shows are running on The Coca-Cola Stage at Alliance Theatre now through December 24th. Tickets start at just $10, making this an affordable event the whole family will love. See the link above to purchase your tickets now.
- Garden Lights Holiday Nights – Come see the Atlanta Botanical Gardens’ electrical extravaganza. Watch in amazement as countless strands of synchronized dancing lights perform. Explore the Walk of Flames and Tunnel of Light along with favorites such as the Orchestral Orbs, Glittering Galaxy, Radiant Rainforest, and Model Trains. The popular children’s Ride-on Train will also be running every Saturday and Sunday from the Great Lawn for just $3-5 a passenger. This exhibition is a classic Atlanta treat not to be missed. Come see it for yourself now through January 20th or visit the link above for more details.
- Celtic Christmas – On December 21st and 22nd, The Celtic Company will present Celtic Christmas at Rialto Center for the Arts at Georgia State University. Experience a spellbinding performance of Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and Appalachian music, dance, and humor performed by internationally and regionally renowned artists. This evocative and inspiring show has captivated audiences for over 25 years. General admission tickets start at $32 and can be purchased via the link above.
It’s the most magical time of the year! Embrace the city you call home and experience the love and joy of the holiday season at one or many of these festive Atlanta events.