Another sun-filled summer in Central Florida is coming to an end, and ready or not it’s back to school for the kiddos. Summer is a popular time to move into a new neighborhood, it’s great to have a few months to acclimate yourself to a new area, make new friends and be ready to start the school year fresh. If your family moved over the summer from a colder climate to sunny Florida, you may notice there aren’t as many leaves falling. In fact, your palm trees will stay tropical all winter and your magnolias will bloom through Christmas. But don’t be fooled, fall is in the air and it’s back to school time.
Here are some tips if you have school-age children and are new to Central Florida.
- Find your school – your school zone is assigned by your address. Many new homeowners’ sight “a favorable school zone” as a factor in their decision-making process to buy a home, but if you don’t already know which school your children will be attending, click the links below and enter your address to find out.
- Review your school’s report card – the district constructed report cards highlight each school’s efforts to provide their students with a complete education, during a specified year. View Orange County Public Schools Report Card Criteria. Visit your school website to view their report card and rating. If you don’t see it, call your school and ask for a copy.
- Make Friends – take time over the summer to develop new relationships in your new neighborhood. Also, check out opportunities for car-pooling and other shared school activities.
- Be Informed
- Take a tour and meet your teachers(s), principal, school nurse and guidance counselor
- Connect with your school on Facebook and other social media
- Sign up for newsletters, emails, phone calls
- Download your school’s preferred communications app
- Download your school’s calendar and make note of days off
- Practice Run – map your path to and from school and determine if your children will be dropped off or take the bus. Or if you live close enough – if biking or walking is an option.
- Whether your child is entering kindergarten or graduating high school, stay informed and engaged in their progress. Check out Lennar’s Opendoor Blog for lifestyle and entertainment tips for your new community.