There are so many benefits to gardening – it allows us to have a healthier diet, save money and it’s also a great activity you can do as a family.
Growing a successful garden doesn’t require a green thumb or tons of experience- anyone willing to do the work can create a prosperous vegetable garden in their yard. There’s no time to start like the present- especially when the present is springtime.
When living in Tampa, spring is the best time to grow crops like corn, cucumber, tomato, peas, and watermelon, according to the University of Florida’s Gardening Solutions publication. You can plant seeds found at local nurseries or use transplants from vegetables you’ve bought at the store.
Here are some tips to grow a successful garden in your yard:
- Watch the weather – Protect your vegetables in the event of a frost.
- Plant early- This ensures that the vegetables in your garden have time to mature before summertime.
- Prune regularly – This prevents the plants from crowding
- Trellis climbing plants – Installing a trellis for plants such as tomatoes and cucumbers is very important. This ensures they’re kept off the ground where they’re at risk of rotting.
- Companion plant – Some plans grow better together. Companion planting means planting complementary plants next to each other to help them to grow and balance the environment of the garden.
- Fertilize – Healthy soil is vital to the life of your garden and vegetables. To
ensure yoursoil is healthy usea spade to turn the soil regularly and use organic-basedfertilizers and compost.
After a few weeks of investing time, energy and love into your garden – you’ll begin to taste the results. Imagine how satisfying it will feel to create a delicious meal made of vegetables from your backyard!
Here are a few garden-to-table recipes to inspire you to keep your crop strong:
There are so many incredible meals you can create for your family just by popping out to your garden and utilizing basic ingredients in your pantry. Your garden’s crop will inspire you to get creative and will make a wonderful opportunity to get your family involved in the process of cooking. There’s never been a better time to get started than right now!