The kitchen is the heart of the home, and there’s no better time to utilize that space than on Valentine’s Day! Skip the steakhouse and get ready to romance your partner (or just entertain your friends!) with some great recipes perfect for the holiday.
Steak and Fingerling Frites
On Valentine’s Day, every steakhouse in town will have a wait time of over an hour. By having a steak dinner at home, you can cut out the crowds and focus on spending time with your special someone.
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 2 strip steaks, each about 1 inch thick
- 2 tbsp unsalted softened butter
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto
- oil, salt, and pepper
- large rimmed baking sheet
- 12-inch skillet
Follow these steps:
- Heat oven to 450° F. Wash fingerling potatoes with water, then quarter each potato lengthwise.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Transfer to oven and roast until the fries are deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Season 2 strip steaks with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat for a minute, then add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the steaks to the skillet and cook until desired doneness. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons softened butter with 1 tablespoon pesto. Serve steaks with fries and pesto butter, and enjoy!
Scallops with Parmesan Risotto
To romance your partner, wow your guests, and fill your home with the smell of white wine and garlic, look no further than these brown butter scallops over parmesan risotto. This dish is a little lighter than steak, so it’s perfect if you’ve got an evening full of festivities planned.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 minced clove garlic or 1 minced shallot (or both)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 lb jumbo scallops
Follow these steps:
- For the Risotto: In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt a tablespoon of butter. Add garlic or shallots and sauté for a minute or two, until soft and fragrant. Add the rice, stir to coat with butter. Add wine, then broth, ½ cup at a time, and simmer/stir after each addition until the rice is soft and creamy. Add parmesan and stir until incorporated.
- For the Seared Scallops: Heat oil in nonstick skillet. Pat scallops dry, sprinkle with salt and add to pan. Shake gently to prevent sticking. After 2-3 minutes, flip each scallop over. They should have a pretty golden brown exterior and an opaque inside. Serve immediately.
- For the Brown Butter: Put three tablespoons of butter in a clean skillet over medium heat and stir it while watching it closely – when golden and foamy, remove from heat, transfer to a heat-proof bowl, then drizzle over risotto and scallops.
Whether you’re winding down for the night and want a filling dinner or you’ve got a busy evening ahead of you and just need something to sate your appetite, these recipes are sure to satisfy anybody and everybody that you’re entertaining.
For more ways to make the most of your Valentine’s Day, be sure to Like Lennar on Facebook.