Finding ways to cut your budget and save money can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially if you’re looking to save a significant amount. Whether you’re wanting to save up for a down payment, make some changes around the home, or take a much needed vacation, there are simple things you can do everyday to help reach your goals. This calendar from BrightNest shows exactly that. Just one activity or change each day can add up overtime to make a big impact on your savings.
Here are just a few of the ways you can save this month according to BrightNest:
Save on utilities
- Take shorter showers (under 10 minutes) and you’ll not only save some money, but also conserve water.
- Check into lowering your cable bill by signing up for special offers or a monthly promotion.
- Is your cell phone attached to your hand? Consider giving up the land line for a meaningful savings every month.
- Change your furnace filter to prolong the life of your furnace.
- Replace your bulbs with CFL lights.
Save on meals
- Freeze fruits and vegetables to prevent food waste and always have fresh produce available.
- Make dinner at home instead of eating out.
- When you do cook, make plenty and use the leftovers for lunch and dinner later in the week.
Save on laundry
- Examine the clothes you always take to the cleaners. Do they really require dry cleaning? If not, consider washing them at home on the delicate cycle or by hand.
- Make your own laundry detergent. You only need 2 tablespoons per load.
- Most of your clothes can be washed in cold water, which saves money over washing in hot.
- Line-dry your clothes. Using less energy means saving more money.
Save on entertainment
- Look for fun and no-cost activities to fill your weekend – like hiking or free events in your area.
- Find BYOB restaurants near you to save money on drinks or look for locations with happy hour specials.