The start of a school year can be a bit hectic for many families. After months of complete freedom from the school year’s busy schedule, it may be a challenge for kids to get back on a strict schedule.
Set a positive tone to the new school year by taking advantage of these Back to School tips. You’ll be glad you did!
Start your back to School Routine Early
One to two weeks prior to the first day of school, get the whole family adjusted to the school year’s morning and bedtime schedules.
- Get the kids accustomed to going to bed early. Set a bedtime and gradually get the kids to start following it.
- Start waking the family up at the time everyone should be up during the school year.
- If you have older kids, give them the responsibility of setting their own alarm clock and preparing their clothes for the following morning.
Create a Drop Zone
Nothing is more stressful than not being able to find your keys in the morning or when your child can’t find his/her backpack. Avoid unnecessary morning delays this school year by designating a space in your home to become the drop spot, where everyone can easily organize their backpacks, lunch bags, purses, keys, paperwork, etc. Click here for inspiration.
Shop Your Closets & Drawers
Before you hit the stores, check your drawers and closets for any items on your back-to-school shopping list. You might be pleasantly surprised by how many new and barely used supplies you already have at home. When it comes to clothes, get rid of all pieces that your kids have outgrown and make a note of the necessary items that need to be purchased.
Do a First Day of School Trial Run
A few days before the first-day of school, practice your back-to-school morning routine, so that the whole family is able to smoothly get to their destination on the actual first day of classes.
- Wake up, get dressed, and eat a healthy breakfast.
- Secure everyone’s backpacks, lunch-bags, and work bags.
- Practice the route to school – walking or driving