From a quick dip to cool off to an entire afternoon of lounging and splashing, one of the best parts of summertime is jumping into the pool on a hot day. Whether you have a swimming pool in your own backyard or take advantage of the community pool, it’s always important to make safety your top priority.
Sometimes it’s easy to take pool safety for granted, but even older children and strong swimmers can be caught off guard. The American Red Cross offers valuable and lifesaving tips for pool safety, including:
- Secure pool with appropriate barriers
- Supervise children at all time (stay within arm’s reach, especially of small children)
- Keep your pool clean and maintain proper chemical levels
- Establish and enforce pool rules
- Our favorite tip – Make sure your family and caregivers are trained on emergency response, including CPR.
Another idea from PoolSafely.gov is to designate a Water Watcher. This is a great way to relax and avoid the “I thought you were watching the kids!” argument. You can even download a card with specific items the Water Watcher can do to help prevent a tragedy.
Download: Designate a Water Watcher
Let us know – what are you best tips for ensuring safety around the pool? Share your thoughts in the comments below!