Arguably the world’s most respected institution on color systems, when Pantone announces its Color of the Year, it’s big news. The most-used color system around the world by designers of all trades, their selection for the 2019 Color of the Year is Living Coral. Described as “An animating and life-affirming coral hue with a golden undertone that energizes and enlivens with a softer edge,” it’s not a neutral tone. But trend followers know incorporating it in their home is a must.
But since the color drastically changes every year – last year was Ultra Violet and Greenery the year before – implementing it strategically is always a wise course. Not everyone can afford a new couch every year to make a bold and current design statement. So follow one of these tips to feel savvy all year long, without breaking the bank.
- Paint an accent wall: Living Coral is a bold color that’s far from subtle. And the act of painting an entire room, especially with a color that will require a few coats for an even finish, is a lot of work. So instead of going over-the-top with four walls of coral that may feel aggressive to the eye, consider simply painting one wall, or stripes on one wall, using the color.
- Accent décor pieces: A great piece of advice you’ll likely hear from any interior designer when furnishing a new home is that buying your furniture in neutral colors is a wise choice. Then, use accent pieces you can change out as trends change. It could
be accentpillows for the couch, colored towels for the guest bathroom, a plush rug or a sassy coral lamp – with a colorthis lively, small pieces will definitely pop.
- Natural elements: We all love fresh flowers in our home. And since Pantone’s color choice was derived from nature, why not present it that way? Living Coral can be found in flowers such as roses, peonies, dahlias and more. Pair a few of these with some fresh greenery and white Baby’s Breath for a truly chic home statement.
- Dinner party focused: The dining room is one of the most fun and easy ways to decorate. And certainly, can be one of the cheapest. Incorporate the color into your dining room
setupfor a seriously on-trend atmosphere. Think table runners, napkins, placemats, glassware, plates or – taking a quefrom the previous tip – fresh flowers. This uplifting color will create a cheery mood and impress your in-the-know guests at your next dinner soiree. Mix and match!
- Bedding: Whether it’s where you rest your head every night, or the extra bedrooms where your guests store their coats and bags, a velvet duvet cover, accent pillows or quilt
thrownover the end of the bed will give your home a contemporary feel.
The best part about all these tips is that they don’t have to be expensive! Shopping online, at thrift stores, major store chains or home décor discount outlets will allow you to have fun decorating your new Lennar dream home. And by getting these pieces at low prices, you can trade them out as holidays, seasons and new trends surface.