If you’re looking to buy a home for the first time, the Tampa Bay area is a great place to do it. In fact, Builder Magazine recently named Tampa the second-best market in the country for first-time home buyers, thanks to such factors as affordability, a healthy amount of homes for sale, and strong home values.
Even in a healthy housing market like Tampa Bay’s, first-time home buyers should take steps to make sure the buying process goes smoothly and that they make a smart decision. Before you begin searching for a home, consider these five helpful tips:
1. Make sure your finances are in good shape.
This may sound like an obvious place to start, but it’s critical to make sure you can comfortably afford a home before you make such a big purchase. In addition to saving for a down payment, it’s important to budget for closing costs, which can increase the total price of your home by about 2 to 5 percent.
2. Get to know the neighborhood.
Just as important as the home itself is the neighborhood it’s in. Do research on the area, read about its history and explore the local shopping and dining options to make sure you can see yourself living there for years to come. If you have children in your household, you will want to look into local schools and recreational activities.
3. Work with a knowledgeable real estate professional.
The world of residential real estate can be challenging, especially for those who haven’t been exposed to the home buying process before. Enlisting the help of a real estate professional who is familiar with the area and understands the nuances of the Tampa Bay area market can help make sure you get the best deal on your first home.
For example, home buyers looking for a new Lennar home have the opportunity to work with our knowledgeable, experienced New Home Consultants who help make the home buying process as stress-free as possible.
4. Set a budget and stick to it.
Unless you have the budget to purchase your dream home right away, it’s likely that your first home will not be your last. Think of buying your first home as the first step on the path to owning your dream home in the future.
It’s a good idea to have a mortgage that allows you to live comfortably until your budget increases. Keep this in mind when setting a reasonable budget for your first home, and stick to it.
5. Don’t limit your search.
There are a lot different home styles and floorplans out there, so its important to look at as many as it takes to find what you’re looking for. While you may not check off everything on your wish list with your first home, it’s important to tour a wide variety of homes with varying styles and floorplans to find the right fit for your family.
Lennar makes things easy for first-time home buyers
Buying your first home is an exciting time and Lennar is here to make it easy. Here are a few ways how:
- Financing: Our in-house lender Eagle Home Mortgage offers a variety of financing options to work with your budget.
- Closing costs: When you buy your first home with Lennar, you may qualify to have us pay for a portion of your closing costs.
- Everything’s included: As part of our Everything’s Included program, all Lennar homes come with a number of upgraded features included in the list price. This means you won’t have to spend money out of pocket for features such as kitchen appliances, a washer and dryer, blinds and other features that would normally drive up move-in costs.
- Knowledgeable consultants: Our New Home Consultants are here to walk you through every step of the home buying process.
To learn more about how Lennar makes it easy to buy your first home in the Tampa Bay area, call 877-205-1328, or chat with one of our New Home Consultants online.