Our pets are more than just fluffy little creatures we like to have around – they’re our family, our best friends. We can always count on them to greet us with an unparalleled level of enthusiasm, whether we’re gone for 10 minutes or 10 days. When someone adds so much joy to your life – you want to do everything you can to make them feel just as loved as you do, so here are 10 tips for keeping your pet happy:
1.Keep them safe by fencing in your backyard – Electric fences and cute white picket-fences are both great options for your yard that allow your pets some freedom to roam, play, and get some fresh air. Electric fences typically cost between $950 and $1,500 to install, making them an excellent solution for those on a budget or those who like the aesthetic of their yard the way it is – sans fence. Fence installation typically costs between $1,500 and $3,000 for the average yard depending on the material and size of the homesite. Both provide your pet with plenty of space to run around and play. Regardless of which option you choose, if you have a Homeowners Association, be sure to check with them first for any necessary approvals.
2. Install a doggy door – Doggy doors with access to your yard provides your pets with freedom. However, we only recommend installing one if you’ve fenced in your backyard and trust your pet to behave and respect your neighbors.
3. Hire a dog walker –If you and your family tend to be busy with work, school, extracurricular activities, and social events – a dog walker can help. Veterinarians recommend letting your pets out at least every six to eight hours or between three and five times a day. However, this isn’t always possible for the average busy family. With services like Rover, Wag! and Care, it’s easier than ever to call on a trustworthy, animal-loving dog walker to lend a helping hand. There may even be businesses in your neighborhood that offer this service.
4. Treat them to cozy beds – Your pets deserve the best, and just like you, they need a good night’s sleep. Invest in quality beds your animals will love sleeping in based on their size and the material. There are so many different kinds of beds on the market – donut beds, mats, plush cushions, cave-style. You may need to do a bit of trial and error to see which kind your dog loves most. We recommend choosing durable, stain-repelling fabrics that can be removed and cleaned to help keep your home free of pet-odor.
5. Give your cat some privacy – There are so many options available today when it comes to cat homes and litter boxes. Many are discrete and blend in with your home’s decor while still helping to prevent odors and provide your cat with easy-access and privacy.
6. Set-up a Kitty Castle – Cats love enclosed spaces – cardboard boxes, cat castles, and houses. It makes them feel secure and protected – they’re also pretty fun. Again, plenty of options on the market for you to choose from, everything from faux fur to little pink castles is available and sure to provide endless hours of fun and entertainment to your little furball.
7. Feed them high-quality pet food – Like humans, an animal’s nutritional health is vital to their overall well-being. High-quality food will be easier on your fur baby’s digestion and free from harmful ingredients and preservatives like BHA and sodium nitrite. Read the labels on the products you currently buy and ensure they don’t contain artificial flavors, fillers, and meat meals and by-products like “poultry by-product meal.” If your current pet food does include these items, it may be time to switch them over to something a bit more healthy.
8. Take them for walks – We all benefit from a nice walk and a bit of fresh air. Stretch yours and your pup’s legs, hit the sidewalk in your neighborhood or community, and catch-up with neighbors and puppy friends along the way.
9. Give them a social life – Dogs tend to be pretty social animals, they love to sniff, play, and chase, and there’s no better way for them to find other dogs to mingle with than at the park. It’s a great space for you to socialize as well! Meet other dog parents, pack some snacks, and let your dog play. They’ll be so worn-out they’ll be panting to go home for a nice long nap.
10. Chip for safety – Microchipping has become quite popular and is a great way to ensure your pet’s safety, especially if they like to get into trouble. Microchips are permanent solutions that prove ownership and increases the likelihood your pet will be returned safely should they ever get lost. Microchipping is an affordable solution typically costing $45 to $50.
As they say, “happy pet, happy life”… right? Okay, maybe that’s not the right phrase – but it’s true! When your pets are happy, healthy, and enjoying life at home, you’ll be happier too. Our pets bring so much joy to our lives, so it only makes sense that we return the favor!