A clean home is a happy home, but sometimes cleaning your home can seem overwhelming. Launching into cleaning day with a plan of action can help! Break the chores up, enlist the family, and tackle it methodically and before you know it, you’ll have a sparkling, fresh home you can truly relax in.
Here are our top 6 cleaning tips:
- Use Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products – Opting for natural cleaning products or using homemade cleaning products containing baking soda, lemon, white vinegar or tea tree oil is better for your family’s health and the environment. Play it safe with natural, non-toxic or DIY cleaning products.
- Wash All Linens – Once you’ve stocked your cleaning toolbox with natural products, you’ll want to begin the cleaning process by stripping the sheets and washing all linens. Washing your linens first will ensure they’re ready to go back on the beds by the time you’re done cleaning your home.
- Clear the Clutter – Clear clutter from your desk, countertops, tables and coffee table to make dusting and vacuuming easier. You can also take this time to rid your home of anything you don’t need or use anymore. Keep items you plan to get rid of in a box by your front door and donate or throw away once done.
- Wipe Down & Dust – Start high and work your way down. Begin the cleaning process by dusting ceiling fans, blinds, shelves, and other hard surfaces. Use a microfiber cloth or rag along with a natural dusting spray or DIY concoction containing water, vinegar, olive oil, and essential oil. Clean mirrors and windows at this time as well with a paper towel and a natural glass cleaner. It’s best to start here since dust falls and can be vacuumed up later.
- Clean the Kitchen – When it’s time to tackle the kitchen start by loading up the dishwasher and running it with natural dishwashing soap. Next, clean your oven with baking soda and vinegar. Don’t forget to clean behind and inside the refrigerator, microwave, toaster, stove and other appliances. Dust and clear out cabinets and discard any expired food or condiments. Wipe down stainless steel appliances with a cleaner safe for stainless steel – it will leave them looking shiny, new and streak-free. Finally, dunk a sponge in hot water and wipe down cabinets and countertops from top to bottom.
- Finish With the Floors – When it comes to the floors, start by vacuuming everything! Don’t forget to vacuum the top of your baseboards, behind the couch and even under the bed. Move furniture if necessary, so you don’t miss a spot. Once all dust and debris is cleared from the floor, get hardwood sparkling with a quick mop. You can clean the carpets with a steam cleaner or utilize baking soda or a natural cleaner to remove stains and pet odor.
When the job is done, you can sit back and relax with the satisfaction of knowing your home is now cleaner and healthier.